Life can get busy! Sometimes it catches up to you and you may find yourself craving an afternoon nap for a recharge. To help that blanket of sleep take full effect, certain foods can help (and some can inhibit) your sleepiness.
First, when planning a nap, avoid heavy, sugar-loaded food that may result in a sugar crash. It’s better to find foods that can naturally assist in relaxation and sleep.
Ingredients that improve sleep
- Turkey – Turkey contains tryptophan, an amino acid that can help increase relaxation and sleepiness.
- Dairy products – Dairy products, such as milk and yogurt, are high in calcium and other nutrients that are linked to relaxation and sleep.
- Whole grains – Whole grains can help regulate blood sugar levels and provide sustained energy for the body – no sugar crashes here!
- Fruits – Many fruits, like cherries and kiwi can help balance sleep cycles.
- Leafy greens – Leafy greens are high in vitamins and minerals that can improve overall health and help promote sleep.
- Herbal tea – Herbal teas, such as chamomile or valerian root, have natural sedative properties that can help you relax and fall asleep more easily.
CDC sleep tips
The CDC has additional recommendations to improve your nap or sleep quality including:
- Consistency – Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning, including on the weekends
- Comfortable environment – Make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark, relaxing, and at a comfortable temperature
- Remove electronic devices – Eliminate electronics like TVs, computers, and smart phones from the bedroom
- Get some exercise – Being physically active during the day can help you fall asleep at night.
Order Metro Diner before you nap
So, if you’ve got a nap in your near future, get your favorite sleep-inducing items delivered right to your door! Take a look at our Menu – we recommend:
- Roasted Turkey Plate – Seasoned turkey breast roasted in-house with rich brown gravy, cornbread stuffing, creamy mashed potatoes, steamed green beans and cranberry sauce.
- Oatmeal Breakfast – Whole grain deliciousness, our oatmeal is served with brown sugar, raisins, and a side of fresh seasonal fruit.
- Chicken Tender Salad – Buttermilk marinated chicken tenders over greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrots, radishes, red onions, and tortilla crunch, tossed in our honey mustard dressing. Tenders available grilled, too.
- Herbal Teas – our diners offer a variety of herbal tea options including chamomile. Ask your server to see what choices are available that can help lull you into a restful slumber.
National Napping Day
Fun Fact: National Napping Day is the day after Daylight Savings. Come on in and celebrate with us before your nap!